Have a sweet tooth for a career as a Dental Assistant? Want to know how a career in it would fair? Well you are in the right place. Dental assistants are the unsung heroes who help out the dentist. They perform a multi-varied tasks including patient care, handling laboratory duties and office tasks. Career in dental assistantships can be equally rewarding and satisfying to one’s career. Dental assistants can advance into a professional dental assisting by obtaining the right education, and prerequisite credentials that are needed to dispense professional activities. Quality Dental assisting in turn would enhance the quality of dental health care to the public.
How to Become a Dental Assistant?
Step 1: – Knowing who is a Dental Assistant and what his duties are?
- Before pursuing a career in dental assistantship; it’s important that you know the role and tasks performed by them.
- Dental Assistant is not to be mistaken for Dental surgeon or the regular dentist whom you visit for all your toothache problems.
- Dental assistant is the one who makes life easier for the dentist by assisting him in the necessary duties that would help prepare a Dentist eventually
You can know in detail about various kinds of roles and specialized duties performed by Dental Assistant by referring to our FAQ’s
Step 2: – Schooling and Education Matters!
- Education caters to the needs of students ranging from extremely short duration certification courses
- Education is vital as it is where dental assistants learn their skills for a Dental Assistant job and also gives them extensive hands on training not only to learn but also to master their skills.
- Courses vary from Certificate to Diploma courses (A.S/ A.A.S ) and from Graduate to PhD courses
You can learn more about the schooling information by referring here
Step 3:- Obtaining Additional Credentials through Certification and Training:
- Though not mandatory some states stipulate conditions that in order for a Dental Assistant to be hired; they should be either licensed or registered.
- This includes taking a Dental Assisting National Board’s (DANB) Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) examination.
- Vocational training courses or job related training too adds value to your portfolio
You can gather more information on certification by referring here
Step 4: Searching for the Right Job with Right Salary
- Dental assistants can find jobs in private & public offices of physicians, Dentists, Federal Executive Branches, Colleges and Medical Institute, Insurance Offices, Hospitals and other related employment services.
- The higher the academic years so will be the number of opportunities
- Academically qualified dentists can choose to advance their career by becoming managers, dental product sales representatives
You can find more detailed information on salary for dental assistants and what it means by referring here
Step 5:- Advancing your Career
- Once you have gained sufficient experience you can choose to advance your career by opting for job posts that pay more
- You can even advance your career by seeking specialization
Know how to advance your career and related posts by referring here. Besides dental assisting career, one can desire to choose any major in healthcare administration. It is basically a good platform and has a very demanding career prospects.